July 29, 2008

amazing new members

The fam,

Things are going well in the life of San Vicente. We actually had a baptism yesterday of a 13 year old girl, Mara. She is the older sister of the little girl we baptized the week earlier. Mara had no records saying that she was baptized before and was never confirmed so after much investigation it was best that she got baptized again. But she really is an amazing girl. Her prayers are always so poetic and beautiful. A couple of weeks ago in her prayer she said something on the lines of: “thank you for the new missionary, i forgot her name, but the cute blonde one, for her kindness” and then just the other day she said “thank you for the chapel and it´s beauty, for every time I walk in it brings a smile to my face.” I love her prayers because she will say what she is thankful for and then go on to explain why. Well, I gave the talk on the gift of the Holy Ghost and then the welcome to the Young womens, I actually got pretty emotional. So I had to hold in the tears. But I really can see her potential as a Daughter of God. I really wanted to say all that I could within the barrier of the time limit and the broken Spanish. But I think that the spirit speaks to us in ways stronger then words. Actually I know that is true. Well, afterwards she ran up and gave me a huge hug!

There is a family that was baptized in October. The mom and Dad and then 8 kids. Pretty much the cutest kids I have ever met in my entire being. It is so hard not to give them the biggest hugs! As missionaries we actually can´t hold babies so it is really hard. Monica, the mom, gave me the BIGGEST hug my first week in San Vicente. I could feel the love that she has for the missionaries. I am always going to remember that hug. (I am so cheesy). The Sotelo family is defiantly a family in need. With 8 kids and a small house and no real job they have their share of struggles. Hna Gyunn and I decided to teach them about fasting. After the lesson we asked them what they could prepare themselves to fast for. And then automatically Monica starts to talk about another family; and how this other family is in a time of need. I just thought it interesting to me that her thoughts went to others. A family that could ask for a million of blessings place their thoughts on what others need. I know that I could learn so much from her example. I am really excited because this week we are going to go and help them build their house. Yay for service!!!!

Well my loves to you.
Hermanita Urban

Mara on her baptism yesterday:


And the man from the stake that is a spitting image of the old man that plays chess against himself for his teeth (so cute!):

No comments: